Financial content marketing is essential when you’re operating within the financial industry. After all, content is king…
But how does content marketing work within the financial services sector, and how can financial institutions go about using it to their advantage to generate more leads?
Content creation for the world of finance
Let’s start by going back to basics. Content marketing is a marketing strategy used by brands to share useful, relevant content to their audience. The aim is to build trust, increase brand awareness and increase conversions. Instead of being sales driven, almost like a pitch, content marketing looks at what the industry is lacking, what your customers need, and more importantly, how your business can bridge the gap.
This means that your finance-related content needs to relate to the services you offer, but more importantly, touch on how these services make a difference. For example, “Tired of paying for cash deposits?” could be a content marketing topic idea, fleshing out how your business reduces the costs and what this means for your clients or customers. This would relate to personal finance content creation as well as services applicable to businesses, allowing you to cast a wider net when reaching out to your audience.
11 Content marketing tips for financial services brands
When it comes to content creation for financial services, the best financial content that receives the most engagement is often the simplest. You don’t need to overcomplicate things to get your point across, you simply need to tell an easy-to-understand story.
So, on that note, let’s take a look at a few tips that will help you come up with content ideas for financial blogs and other forms of marketing collateral.
1. Research the regulations beforehand to understand what you can and can’t publish, as well as how Google views content coming from your industry. Don’t forget to fact check everything before publishing either, as this could have some serious consequences and ruin your brand’s reputation.
2. Generate thought leadership for your brand by writing guest articles for reputable blogs and other industry-related marketing forums that can help build your brand’s reputation.
3. Use longtail keywords to rank in organic search, and try to focus on unique topics that target your audience, this will ensure that the right people see it.
4. Consider collaborating with other financial experts for a more well-rounded piece of information – that can then be tied back to all brands involved, potential reaching a wider audience online as well as on social media.
5. Hire writers that understand the financial industry and are familiar with how the content should be compiled – from research to compliance as well as the execution thereof.
6. Consider using video to share information in an easy-to-understand manner, the online space has seen increased engagement when it comes to video content.
7. Sign up to receive real-time updates from your favorite news sites to ensure that you are aware of industry changes as soon as they happen, this will help you be the first to break the news and tell customers how this will affect them. This also means your review process needs to be thorough enough to fact check everything, but fast enough to share news while it’s still relevant.
8. Use a customer management system to manage the customer journey and connect with them along the way. Follow up with them from time to time to see what they’re up to and if you can assist, a personal touch goes a long way.
9. Keep an eye on the competition to see what they’re doing and how their audience is reacting, this can guide you when it comes to building your content strategy.
10. Remove stale and outdated content from your site, you want to remain relevant to the world around you. This will also ensure that everything published is abiding by the latest regulations.
11. Find the right resources to assist you. From subscriptions to news sites to signing up for industry newsletters to hiring writers and other content related staff, you need to ensure that you have the right tools available to get the job done.
Don’t let the thought of content marketing get the better of you
We know that curating a content marketing plan can be daunting and stressful, especially in a regulated industry such as finance. We hope that these tips will help you a ton and assist you in generating thought-provoking, industry-specific content that will help grow your brand’s reputation and generate more leads.